Monday, November 28, 2011

Two Perspectives: Taino Girl and Spanish boy

Veronica wrote about the arrival of Christopher Columbus, from two different perspectives, using historical details as well.




Taino Girl, Sand Girl
1492, The Caribbean Islands 
I wake up right when the sun rises over the shining ocean. Yawning I scramble to get my little brother up. He is lying on the mat of banana leaves that I wove together for him five suns ago. I leave him there and quickly walk outside. The sun greets me like a feast ready to begin. I soak my face in the salty water and look up at the strip of  ocean that lasts forever. Once Father, tried to reach the end of the ocean, but he kept on going until we couldn’t see him anymore. We tried calling out his name when he reached the end, but he couldn’t hear us. I can imagine him still paddling out there hoping to find a way back home. His name is Big Feet because he is the fastest at everything he does. My mother’ name is Quick Fingers because once she wove one hammock in a day. I look out and can almost see my father’s canoe paddling toward me.
  
Spanish Sailor Boy, Juan
1492, Lost 
            I squint my dark brown eyes trying to be the first to spot land. We have been out at sea for many days. I can barely remember my mother saying, “Adios, be safe,” to me when we left. I hear a bell ring and quickly turn over the hourglass knowing that there are only 300 more minutes until the day ends. I want that gold coin to save for my father. He will be proud of me when I buy him spices at Asia. I’m tired and hungry, but El Capitan de Colon will be mad at me for not waiting to turn the hourglass after thirty minutes. I don’t feel so hungry anymore when I remember last night’s dinner, stale bread with rotten milk made me sick to my stomach. As the sun goes down, I skip supper and lay on the cold, hard wooden floor unsteadily dreaming about the dinner at home. I wonder why I went here in the first place, but remember the riches Marco Polo got when he reached Asia, I fall into a deep sleep.
Taino Girl, Sand Girl
1492, Caribbean Islands
            “Sand Girl! Come here!” Says my mom’s sweet voice. I quickly rush up to the hut the warm sand squishing in between my toes that are the color of warm, delicious, golden yams. My brother, Shooting Star, comes running towards me as he wraps his warm arms around my stomach. He’s as sweet as juicy fruits, but can be cranky when he doesn’t get his way. I tell him about father’s big canoe paddling toward us. I look back as the canoe gets bigger and bigger, but this time it has a red sail attached to it. The men inside are wearing cloth all over their body and their skin is as white as the sand. They look like ugly parrots, instead of feathers; they have brown, bushy hair growing from their chins and above their mouths. They dock their large canoes and march into the shore sloshing the once still waters of the sparkling sea. Dark clouds gather over -head and I can tell that there will be a big storm coming.

Spanish Sailor Boy, Juan 
1492, San Salvador 
I climb cautiously out of the boat and force my eyes to see through the thick layer of fog. A town of people standing with dark skin and dark hair. Their bodies all look very strong like they have been working for days, and smiles cover their faces, some even hold their possessions to trade with us. Their bodies stand stiff against the brittle wind. I feel bad for them, they have no clothes to protect them from the harsh winds, they stand there naked. El Capitan de Colon walks up to them and says, “We are nice, we come here to trade your goods for ours.” One comes up and gives a crewmember a slice of something yellow with a spiky shell. The sailor nibbles on it cautiously then smiles, juice dribbling down his chin. Later that day we find out about something called tobacco, pineapples, hammocks, and a wonderful meat called turkey.

Taino Girl, Sand Girl 
1492, Caribbean Islands
I stare through the hissing fire into the tight face of a sailor boy. He stares at his turkey avoiding my evil glare. A tickle has stayed in my stomach ever since the white men landed here. I do not like them with their beady black eyes and whitish hair. They showed us many beautiful things like large floppy hats (usually red) that you put on your head, and glass beads. Best of all they showed us a sharp silver tool used to kill and cut things. At first I though it came from the sea, it’s end was so sharp it must have been made by the fish, but no. I did not believe him when he said it could kill things with one slice, even humans. I wondered why he would want to kill humans. Late at night when you couldn’t see anything but the twinkling stars, I slid the “sword” out of its soft case. I sliced it across my hand and warm scarlet blood trickled out. I concealed my yelp of pain with my other hand and slid the evil weapon into its pouch.
Spanish Sailor Boy, Juan
1492, San Salvador
I know this is not Asia. There are no spices and the people here are dumb, they couldn’t have made the compass. I saw a girl slice herself with a sword yesterday. At least they have some things, though. I’m tired and want to go back home, but El Capitan de Colon is staying here until the storm goes away. We will be taking some of the Indians with us. They are not all dim-witted; they have skills. They are very kind, almost too kind, therefore it will be easier to capture them. I carry our stuff back to the ship as the clouds clear away. El Capitan is holding an Indian’s hands tightly behind his back as he pushes him into the caravel. 
Taino Girl, Sand Girl
1492, Caribbean Islands
Salty tears run down my face as I run and run up to the leader of the parrots. I grab his cloth and rip and punch until he throws me to the ground and steps on me too. Star Boy’s longing face stares at me from the ship. I run towards it screaming. I can’t hear anything, I feel like using the evil weapon on the leader, but don’t have time. I run up to the ship and stay on with my brother and parents. I knew they were mean. I watch our peaceful island fade away as we start a new life.

Spanish Sailor Boy, Juan
1492, Going Back Home
I sit staring at the dark skinned girl. She stares back with anger I can’t describe. I want to give her a hug, but her hands are tied behind her back for hurting El Capitan. My guilt and sadness washes away as quick as a wave crashes. I turn over the hourglass and say a short prayer for the crew and for the girl. I tell her we will be home soon. Everything will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment